Tag Archives: monoxide

Bill Inspired by Carbon Monoxide Fatalities Approved

News release from state Sen. Tim Barnes:
NASHVILLE – A bill sponsored by State Senator Tim Barnes and State Representative Joe Pitts to protect renters of recreation vehicles from carbon monoxide poisoning passed both the House and Senate on Monday.
“This legislation comes too late for those who have lost their loved ones, but with the help of their family members, we can ensure that such a tragedy never happens again,” Barnes said.
Senate Bill 2357/House Bill 2734 requires all lease or rental recreational vehicles in Tennessee to have working carbon monoxide detectors. The bill was brought to the state legislature after a tragic incident in Clarksville last year in which five people were killed from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning during a charity event.
Police found the victims in an RV with a generator near a vent and all the windows and doors shut. All five had fatal amounts of carbon monoxide in their blood.
Christine and Ed Watson, whose daughter and husband were killed, came to Pitts and Barnes with the legislation. The bill requires all lease or rental agreements to contain as statement acknowledging that the vehicle is equipped with a working detector.
Under the bill, companies can be held liable for violating the requirement.
“The Watsons have worked tirelessly to educate both lawmakers and the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to prevent such a terrible heartbreak from happening to other Tennesseans,” Pitts said. “In our eyes, Christine and Ed Watson are heroes.”
The legislation now goes to Governor Bill Haslam for his signature.

Detector Bill Named After Carbon Monoxide Victims

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A bill that would require working carbon monoxide detectors in leased recreational vehicles has been named after five people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning last year at a bike rally in Clarksville.
The bill, sponsored by Rep. Joe Pitts, of Clarksville, was advanced in a House subcommittee on Tuesday. Christine and Ed Watson, both of Clarksville, showed a picture of their daughter, Kathryn Over, and her husband, Jonathan, who were among the five killed last September during a Bikers Who Care event.
Christine Watson said the bill would prevent future tragedies by requiring a working carbon monoxide detector in RVs.
Police say the deaths were accidental after a generator was found near a vent for the trailer and all the windows and doors were shut.