Clint Tribble, the only candidate opposing U.S. Rep. Phil Roe in the August Republican primary, says on his campaign website that he is suspending his campaign after receiving anonymous threats.
“We have received countless anonymous threats during this campaign in one form or another, most of them demanding I quit campaigning. Some of them seemed harmless, some far more serious,” the statement says. adding in parenthesis, “Let me be clear, I do not believe my opponent or his campaign have anything whatsoever to do with these threats.”
“I can no longer go forward as I feel I am putting myself and my family in harm’s way,” he says.
WJHL-TV says Tribble suspended his campaign Friday “just hours” before a scheduled interview with the Johnson City station.
In recent weeks, YouTube videos showed Tribble fiercely criticizing Phil Roe’s record calling him an establishment candidate who’d turned his back on veterans. By Friday afternoon, the videos had been removed from YouTube and from his campaign website.
Roe told the Kingsport Times-News that he hasn’t looked at Tribble’s campaign material.
“I’ve looked at almost nothing,” Roe responded (when asked about a YouTube video). “I would say that people need a competent congressman who works hard for the people. We take great pride with the constituent service we’ve done. Over the years, we’ve directly helped 6,000 responses from veterans. That’s the fun part of my job. What I don’t like is the travel and being away from family and home. I think I’ve made a very positive impact in Washington.”