NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A new marker inside the doors of the Tennessee Supreme Court in Nashville celebrates the building’s inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
When it was completed in 1937, it marked the first time state’s highest court had its own building. The structure was funded through President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Public Works Administration.
Today the building is used by the Supreme Court, the intermediate courts of criminal and civil appeals and a museum to state court history.
The building is designed in the stripped classicism style that was popular in the 1930s and 1940s. Architectural features include Doric capitals, a cornice embellished with classical images, multi-pane windows, marble interiors and historic lighting fixtures.
The building was recognized on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.