NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Nashville judge said the Department of Children’s Services has gotten back on track with providing records to the news media of children who died or nearly died.
In a hearing last month, Chancellor Carol McCoy suggested that someone at DCS needed to go to jail for making extensive redactions to the records. In contrast, on Monday, McCoy said the department had failed to black out some identifying information in some of the records.
DCS is releasing the documents in batches after a group of media organizations led by The Tennessean and including The Associated Press sued for access to the records of children who died or nearly died between 2009 to mid-2012.
Close to 100 records remain undisclosed. The next hearing was set for Aug. 21.