Kingsport GOP Presidential ‘Debate’ Changed to Forum

A planned October GOP presidential contenders debate to be held at Kingsport’s MeadowView Marriott has been changed to a forum, according to one organizer of the event, reports Hank Hayes.
Fabian Story, executive director of the Nashville-based Conservatives on the Move (COTM) political action committee, said candidates’ campaigns expressed concerns about the debate format.
“They feel another debate just exposes them,” Story explained. “They don’t like the format that we have set up. What we have done … earlier this week we changed the format from a debate setting to a forum setting where each candidate will be given a certain amount of time to make their case, and they could take questions from the audience if they choose.”
The debate, said Story, was expected to feature three types of questions: Moderator to candidate, audience to candidate and candidate to candidate.
“They didn’t like the candidate-tocandidate questions,” Story said. “They felt those campaigns would come after them. … Obviously we would have used a vetting process and not allowed personal attacks.”
When asked about candidate commitments to participate in the Oct. 15 afternoon event, Story said: “We have yet to get a yes or no from the (Minnesota congresswoman) Michele Bachmann campaign or the (Texas governor) Rick Perry campaign.”
Story said he had “no noncommitments” from other GOP hopefuls. At a news conference last month, he said Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney declined to participate.
“However, (the Romney campaign) contacted me and said they would be reconsidering and to send the details,” Story noted.

Leave a Reply