KNOXVILLE, Tennessee — Early lines on eight Tennessee games indicate that Las Vegas oddsmakers have little optimism for the Vols in 2014.
Tennessee opponents are favored in seven of the eight games released by the Golden Nugget as part of their annual early lines.
Here they are:
UT (+19) at Oklahoma
UT (+17) at Georgia
Florida at UT (+4.5)
UT (+12) at Ole Miss
Alabama at UT (+20)
UT (+18) at South Carolina
Missouri at UT (+4)
UT (-3) at Vanderbilt
Interestingly, roughly one-fourth of the 200 games handicapped by the Golden Nugget had line movements after their initial release to reflect betting trends. But only one Tennessee game was adjusted: Georgia is now favored by 16 points, down from 17. In other words, it doesn’t appear the public is flocking to bet on Tennessee.
Of course, UT will likely be favored in the four games not listed.
If you’re inclined to optimism, think of it this way: The Vols must only steal only one upset after winning the five games in which they will be favored to become bowl eligible.
If you’re inclined to pessimism, the rest of this blog is for you.
A 19-point spread translates to a 2.7 percent chance of winning against Oklahoma. Or just an 11.45 percent chance at Georgia.
For the sake of this simulation, we’ll give UT a 6.5-point edge against Utah State and an 8-point advantage against Arkansas State and Kentucky. We’re giving the Vols a 99.95 percent chance of victory against Chattanooga.
Spin those figures through my simulator 1,000 times and this is what you get:
That’s a 32 percent chance of winning at least six games and making a bowl, a 31 percent chance of having the same record as last year and a 37 percent chance of being worse.
I’ll update the simulator with new numbers as the season goes on.
Think some of the odds are way off? Let me know.