Quarterback Justin Worley takes a snap in practice on Aug. 27, 2013, as offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian looks on. (Photo by Evan Woodbery)
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee — When Justin Worley worked with the first team during Tuesday’s practice, we no longer had to get our notepads and jot down the observation.
Worley is officially the starting quarterback.
Backup Nathan Peterman will be among many players we talk to after practice wraps up this evening. Check back for notes, quotes, stories, videos and photos later Tuesday night and into Wednesday evening.
* Before practice, Butch Jones told his team about a walk-on who had taken out three loans and was $30,000 in debt in order to play football. He contrasted that with certain unnamed scholarship players who “just show up.”
* There were a few roster additions late last week. Most of the new walk-ons are covered in my blog post about the updated roster earlier today. But there was one new walk-on I missed. Defensive back Michael L. Williams of Knoxville’s Bearden High rejoined the team. He was previously a walk-on in the spring.
This complicates things because there’s another walk-on defensive back named Michael Williams — Michael F. Williams from Maryland.
When Michael L. departed, Michael F. reverted to just plain old Michael. Now he’s back to Michael F.
For what it’s worth, Michael F. was still wearing a green non-contact jersey and working on the sidelines on Tuesday.
* Other players in the Hole include kicker George Bullock, defensive end Jacques Smith and receiver Ryan Jenkins.
* Receiver Paul Harris had a massive bandage on his forehead but otherwise looked OK.
* Rich Homie Quan is a popular pre-practice selection. His hit song “Type of Way” contains the lines: “I probably make more money in six months/Than what’s in your papa’s safe/Look like I robbed a bank.”
Coincidentally, a bank on UT’s campus was robbed earlier this afternoon. Quan is not a suspect.