KNOXVILLE, Tennessee — Tennessee‘s search for a new running backs coach could be wrapped up in the next 48 hours.
Beyond that, there are still plenty of questions. But here’s what we’ve heard and think…
1) The only coach on my incredibly exhaustive list of Butch Jones ties who is actually in the mix for the job is Tim Spencer. He interviewed this week. One of 15 isn’t bad, is it? Is it??
2) There are one or more mystery candidates who will visit with Jones this week. Depending on how those meetings go, Jones could pull the trigger on a new coach by the end of the week.
3) We’re told the remaining candidate(s) are current coaches. Former Auburn and UT assistant Trooper Taylor isn’t in the mix.
4) Butch Jones has told people he’s hiring a coach, not a resume and that he’s more interested in a finding a “grinder” willing to get his hands dirty than making a “splash.”
5) If all goes as planned, the new coach will be in town and ready to go by the first day of spring practice, March 9. If not, there are contingency plans and no shortage of staff members who could be temporarily deputized as the ninth on-field assistant coach.
Questions, comments? Drop me an e-mail or converse with me on Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus or Tumblr .