Jalen Reeves-Maybin, an athlete from Clarksville, became the Vols’ 16th commitment last week
Here’s what we know about the 6-foot-1, 200-pound linebacker:
1. Reeves-Maybin is a four-star prospect on Scout.com; Rivals and 247 have him classified as a three-star. Rivals lists him as an athlete, while he is ranked as an outside linebacker on the other two services.
2. Ole Miss was reportedly the biggest competitor for the Vols, although my recruiting guru friends say Reeves-Maybin has long been focused on coming to Tennessee since he got an offer in January.
3. Running backs coach Jay Graham was the lead recruiter for the Vols.
4. Reeves-Maybin is reportedly projectable at several positions, as he does just about everything in high school.
5. Reeves-Maybin attends Northeast High in Clarksville. Why does that ring a bell? It’s the alma mater of running back Travis Stephens, who was in the Vols’ national title team in 1998 and capped his career with a record 1,464 yards in 2001.
6. During his announcement, Reeves-Maybin rocked a pink bow-tie and cap like this.
7. Here’s Scout.com’s Chad Simmons’ scouting report: “Reeves-Maybin is a gifted athlete that put up big numbers on both sides of the ball as a junior. He has played safety and linebacker on defense and Scout projects him as an outside linebacker on the next level. He has a lot of room to grow at that position, but he has all the skills to be very successful there. He can run, he has good size, he is aggressive, he can move in space, and can turn and run with running backs.”
8. Reeves-Maybin hopes to graduate in December and be an early enrollee at UT in January.
9. ESPN calls him “a tough and rugged football player that is a power back in the wildcat formation on offense as a direct snap QB and a hybrid S/OLB on defense which is where we feel is his best fit for the next level.”
10. Of the Vols’ 17 commitments, eight are on defense, seven on offense and two are usually classified as athletes. Including Reeves-Maybin, the Vols have six prospects who could play linebacker.
11. Reeves-Maybin is on Twitter, where he has already declared himself a #VFL.