Big tanks for 1940s radioactive waste

gunitetanksThe early nuclear operations at X-10, which later became Oak Ridge National Laboratory, generated a lot of highly radioactive wastes. This July 7, 1943 photograph shows the construction of huge gunite tanks that were used for storage of those wastes. (Department of Energy archives/Ed Westcott photo)

This entry was posted in History, Manhattan Project Park, nuclear, ORNL on by .

About Frank Munger

Senior Writer Frank Munger covers the Dept. of Energy's Oak Ridge facilities and many related topics — nuclear weapons, nuclear waste and other things nuclear, environmental cleanup and science of all sorts. Atomic City Underground is, first and foremost, a news blog, but there's room for analysis, opinion and random thoughts that have no place else to go.