Cyber silence at Y-12

As of late last week, the federal and contractor folks at the Y-12 nuclear weapons plant still weren’t saying much about the disruption in the plant’s unclassified security system. They were saying nothing about possible problems with the classified system or whether there were impacts on production or security.

The last response from Consolidated Nuclear Security said the contractor had identified and isolated the problem that caused the problem in the unclassified network, beginning last Monday. The statement also said full capabilities had been restored mid-week, although there were reports of not-so-perfect email and other computer activities. There also were unconfirmed reports of temporary actions taken to support emergency communications if the computer problems persisted.

Steven Wyatt, a spokesman for the National Nuclear Security Administration, said he had no comment to add regarding the situation for the time being.

One can assume that if there was an intrusion of some type into the national security site’s computer systems that additional information would ultimately become available.

Stay tuned. Maybe this week.

A feature on Atomic City Underground allows readers to sign up for email updates and receive a notice each time new information is posted on the news blog. Just put your email address in the box on the lower right of the blog’s front page and follow instructions. Thanks to all loyal readers.

This entry was posted in CNS, NNSA, nuclear, Y-12 on by .

About Frank Munger

Senior Writer Frank Munger covers the Dept. of Energy's Oak Ridge facilities and many related topics — nuclear weapons, nuclear waste and other things nuclear, environmental cleanup and science of all sorts. Atomic City Underground is, first and foremost, a news blog, but there's room for analysis, opinion and random thoughts that have no place else to go.