Wartime view of the Graphite Reactor

17663067666_8713a42d39_k

This aerial photograph, taken on March 10,1944, shows the Graphite Reactor during its formative period in the World War II Manhattan Project. The Oak Ridge reactor, which was the world’s first continuously operated nuclear reactor, served as a pilot facility for the production of plutonium. (Department of Energy archives/Ed Westcott photo)

This entry was posted in History, nuclear, ORNL on by .

About Frank Munger

Senior Writer Frank Munger covers the Dept. of Energy's Oak Ridge facilities and many related topics — nuclear weapons, nuclear waste and other things nuclear, environmental cleanup and science of all sorts. Atomic City Underground is, first and foremost, a news blog, but there's room for analysis, opinion and random thoughts that have no place else to go.